Prior of buying a motorized vehicle, you should ensure first that you hold a driver’s license. For first time applicant, a student driver’s license should be secured from the Land Transportation Office of the Philippines or LTO. This document authorizes the holder to drive a vehicle, but should be accompanied by someone who holds a professional or non-professional driver’s license.
Before an individual can apply for a valid driver’s license, he or she should secure first the student permit. After a month, the holder can then apply for non-professional driver’s license and after 6 months, a professional driver’s license.
Who can apply for Student Drivers License?
Anyone who wants to apply for student driver’s license must be at least 17 years old. But, the applicant should present original copy of parent’s or guardian’s consent and original or photocopy of valid ID issued by the government.
The applicant should be able to write and read Filipino and English. Must be mentally and physically fit to drive a motorized vehicle. However, if the applicant is a foreigner, he or she must be of legal age and have stayed in the country for at least a year.
Student Drivers License Basic requirements:
- Duly accomplished student driver’s license application form
- Original and photocopy of birth certificate issued by NSO or PSA
- Taxpayer’s Identification Number (for employed applicant)
- Medical certificate proving that the applicant is mentally and physically fit to drive and issued by an accredited clinic or doctor.
Additional requirements for foreigner include the following:
- Original and photocopy of passport with 1-year visa duration and 1-month entry date from the date of application.
- PSA birth certificate (if born in the Philippines)
- Alien Certificate of Registration
Steps to apply for student driver’s license
- Visit the LTO Licensing Office nearest to your place and bring all the requirements and dress properly.
- Ask for the requirement’s checklist from the Customer Service Counter along with the application form and queue number.
- Wait for your number to be called and the Evaluator Counter will check your documents.
- If there’s no problem with the documents, the next step is the photo and signature taking.
- Proceed to the cashier for the payment and ask for the official receipt.
- Claim the Student Permit along with the reviewer at the releasing counter.
The Student Permit would cost you Php317.63 and prepare a budget for the medical fee.