Chewing gum is one of your fastest go-to solution when you need to instantly freshen your breath. But its purpose goes beyond just that.
There are several surprising benefits that you can get from chewing gum that not everyone is aware of. Here some of the advantages that you can actually get from chewing gum.
1. It helps improve memory. A growing number of studies have shown how chewing gum can help enhance a person’s memory and mental performance. It can improve your concentration, reaction times and other cognitive functions. That is because whenever you chew, there is an increased blood flow to the brain.
2. It increases alertness. Many studies have also shown that chewing gum does not only improves memory but it also enhances wakefulness and mental alertness. It is the chewing movement of your jaw that stimulates your nerves and that is why you feel more awake or you have an increased ability to stay awake longer.
3. It reduces stress and anxiety. If you want an instant relief from stress and anxiety, try chewing a gum. It also gives you the same relaxing feeling when you feel nervous. That’s because the simple act of chewing is already calming for most people.
4. It can help you shed off pounds. Who would have thought that chewing gum is actually one of the simple answers to weight loss? Popping in some gum into your mouth can help you slim down because it curbs your cravings so you tend to eat less.
5. It helps protects your teeth. If you chew sugarless gum, you are increasing your teeth’s protection against cavities and tooth decay. That is because your mouth will never run dry of saliva when you keep chewing and saliva washes away the acid on your teeth which are the cause of decay.
Now you that you are aware of these benefits, you have more good reasons to munch on some gum. But just make sure that you dispose of it properly.